By Rosalie Neuvel and Jantine Brandemann
Hidden churches in Amsterdam:
- Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder
- De Papegaai
‘Hidden’ monuments in Amsterdam:
- Rembrandt monument
- Wibaut statue
Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder – Attic Church
In 1578, the Protestants got the power in Amsterdam, and public catholic celebrations became forbidden. The Roman-Catholics, about 20% of the population, had to come up with a second plan: hidden churches. One of those churches, the church Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder in Amsterdam is built by the catholic business person Jan Hartman (1619-1668). In 1661, he bought three houses next to each other. Immediately, he started to rebuild the houses. The attics of the houses were combined together into a catholic house church. This is where the name Ons’ Lieve Heer op Solder refers to. The Protestant municipality did know about the existence of the hidden church, but tolerated almost all religions within Amsterdam.
Later, in 1862, the houses where getting renovated in the original style – the seventeenth century style – as much as possible. However, the church got the appearance of the nineteenth century style. Nowadays, the church – together with the houses – is a museum. After the national museum, this museum is the oldest of Amsterdam.
At the Rhijnspoorplein in Amsterdam, between metro station Weesperplein and Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences, there is a statue standing. It says it is a statue of Dr. F. M. Wibaut, living from 1859-1936. A lot of people, mainly students are walking by every day. But do they know who dr. F. M. Wibaut was?
Florentinus Marinus (Floor) Wibaut was a successful business person in Middelburg and earned a lot of money in the international timber trade. He went to Amsterdam, where he became alderman of housing and finances and during World War I, he provided victuals. Until 1897, F. M. Wibaut was a progressive liberal, but from 1897 onwards he became active at the SDAP, the Socialist Democratic Labour Party in the Netherlands. F. M. Wibaut became an important governor and from 1922 until 1935, he was an authoritative member of the Senate of the States General and a strong defender of the financial independence of municipalities.